Neil Moodie - Salon Profile
Taking pride of place in London's Spitalfields, the Neil Moodie Studio 1600-square-foot space has been carefully designed with sustainability in mind. The much-anticipated studio is Moodie's first solo venture; the next step in a 35-year career that's seen him create some of the world's most iconic hairstyles, gracing hundreds of magazine covers, runways and red carpets.
The two-floor space takes design inspo from the mid-century modern movement whilst also highlighting the character of the Grade II-listed building, so there's exposed brick mixed in with lots of light wood, herringbone floors and dark blue tiling, with most of the materials being repurposed and upcycled (and all of those mag covers Neil has worked on are displayed on the walls downstairs too)
Reis provided a full design & design management sercice. We followed our 3 stage procees in the creation and implementation of Neil's new salon, providing the following service
Stage 1 Concept Design
- Layout Plan Options - We explored all of the opporynities within this Listed Building through various layout plan options, finally arriving at the best solution.
- Inspiration Imagery - We interpreted Neils brief for a Mid-Century design aestheic inspired space using inspiration imagery to refine the visual style of the salon.
- Materials Boards - Detailed material specification boards illustrate the finishes that will be employed thrpoughout the design
- 3D Visualisation - Colour 3D renderings help to illustrate our conceptual ideas.
Stage 2 Detailed Design
- Detailed Enabling works Plans - Detailed design specification including Electric layouts, plumbing, flooring, lighting design & decorations
- Custom Joinery Details - Fully bespoke furniture design package including a specification for styling fixtures, reception desk, retail units, backwash fixtures screening & internal signage.
- Competitive Bidding stage - We developed a full written design specification which enabled a competitive bidding stage to ensure the best value shopfitting for our client.
- Environmental sustainability report - We were challenged with creating a salon design that maximised sustainability and reduced environmental impact. We fully researched a sourced products, materials & finishes that fulfilled this brief.
Stage 3 - Design Management
- Tender analysis - We follow a thorough bidding procedure to analyse tender submissions and ensure the most competitive contractors are appointed.
- Statutory approval management - Management of Planning & Building Control approval processes
- Contractor liason - Working closely with the appointed contractor to resolve site challenges and day to day problem solving.
- Site Meetings - We attend regular site meetings throughout the construction phase invloving the client with the site decision making process.
- Cost management - We maintain a close eye on construction costs throughout the construction phase, liasing closely with the contractor to identify cost alterations or savings where possible
- Snagging - On completion of construction works we attend site to identify any remedial issues and ensure the completed salon closely follows our design specification.
The 3 stage process is a tried and tested route to successfully create and realise a professional salon environment.
Neil was delighted with the process & his completed salon
"Richard has delivered the most amazing design for my studio!! His attention to detail is second to none. I was blown away by how Richard understood my initial concept, and what I was trying to achieve. He meticulously listened to all my ideas and desires and took into consideration my request to be as eco and sustainable as possible. When something was maybe not possible Richard would immediately have alternatives ready to present, giving his opinion on what he thought would work best, but without forcing any ideas. He presented me with 3D renders during the design process which were virtually identical to the finished design. I highly recommend Richard and will most definitely work with him again on any future projects"